AlayaCare can calculate gross payroll and export enough information for an external payroll system to calculate gross to net.
Alayacare can export the following payable items with Pay Codes, and if configured, Pay Rates, for processing by your external payroll system:
- Time Off
You can create three different types of Premiums for Payroll:
- Visit Premiums
- Daily Premiums
- Calculated Premiums
In addition, there are some basic options for calculation of:
- Holiday Pay
- Overtime Pay
If you do choose to configure your Pay Codes with Pay Rates within Alayacare, you have the option of overriding the rates at the following levels:
Create a Payroll Period
Create a Payroll Period as the first step in running Payroll.
Visit Approval/Unscheduled Visits
Navigate to 1) Approve Visits>Visit Approval to review/approve Visits for payroll in the Visit Approval tab.
Navigate to 1) Approve Visits>Unscheduled Visits to review/add Unscheduled Visits for approval in the Visit Approval tab.
Unscheduled Visits are sessions where a care worker has clocked in outside a scheduled visit time. They cannot be paid unless they are added to the schedule.
- Visit Approval
- Unscheduled Visits
- Navigate to 1) Approve Visits>Time Off to review any Time Off scheduled during the Period.
- Time Off can be filtered by Employee, by Time Off Type, or by Payable vs. Not Payable.
- If you wish to add/edit and Employee's Time Off or Unavailability, it must be done from within the Employee Profile.
- How do I set up/edit/delete Time off Types?
- How do I set/edit unavailabilities in my employee's calendar?
- Navigate to 1) Approve Visits>Daily Premiums to review any Daily Premiums scheduled during the Period.
- Daily Premiums can be filtered by the Employee's Department or Group, by the Premium Name, by Employee, or by Apply Date.
Employee: the Employee who is owed the Premium.
Apply Date: the date of the Premium, selected by the user who added it.
Premium: the Premium Name, selected by the user who added it. This determines the Pay Code of the Premium.
Quantity: the payable Quantity entered by the user who added the Premium.
Description: entered by the user who added the Premium.
Added By: the user who added the Premium.
Date: the date and timestamp of when the Premium was added.
- You can add a Daily Premium from this screen or Export the list with Options.
Visit Premiums can only be paid if the Visit is approved.
Is time off subject to holiday?
Premiums are not
Is time off subject to overtime?
Premiums are not.
If cancelling or unapproving a visit means that another visit is no longer in overtime, does this get picked up when re-running payroll? when doing adjustments?
If approving a new visit puts another visit in overtime, same question.
Employment Settings will determine the Overtime Rule for a given employee.
If any portion of a given visit for that employee is over the allotted time for that employee in the given period, then the Overtime Pay Code set on that visit will apply to that portion of the employee's hours.
For example, let's imagine there's an employee with the overtime rule "40 hours / 1 week" and they had worked 38 hours so far. Their next visit is 3 hours. For that visit, they'll receive 2 hours of the regular pay code and 1 hour of the OT pay code.
Overtime is calculated based on the setting in System Settings > Scheduling > First day of week.
- How do I set up Overtime Rules?
- How do I set an overtime rule at the employee level?
- How do I pay my employees for Overtime when I run payroll?
Employee-level Pay Overrides
Premiums and time off are not subject to employee pay overrides.
Visit-level Pay Overrides
What is the precedence of visit vs. employee pay overrides?
Once you have approved your Visits, reviewed you Premiums, and set Premium Rules, you are ready to Run Payroll.
- In Run Payroll & Export, click Run Payroll
- Payroll is run as a Background Job, so you may have to wait a while for it to be complete, but you can navigate away from the screen and work elsewhere before returning to view the Payroll.
Depending on the volume of visits, payroll can take a bit of time so is processed in the background so you can continue to operate within AlayaCare. When you initially click Run Payroll, the payroll job will be queued. Depending on what other background jobs may be running at the time, the payroll job should take on average less than 2 minutes to go from Queued to Started. As a frame of reference, a payroll processing over 15,000 pay items may take around 25 minutes to complete. To see the progress of this file, navigate to Dashboard > Background Jobs. There you can see the status of the job and the % progress. The screen auto-refreshes every 4 seconds to update progress, but can also be refreshed manually by clicking the Refresh button. Note: progress % for payroll is based on # of employees (not pay items).
Review the progress of the Payroll Run through the Dashboard > Background Job
Next to each payroll run, click Details, which will show each of the pay items that was included in the payroll run. This is the clearest way to check on pay items, and will often be more straightforward for troubleshooting than the tenant-specific exports, which include variable information often in very customized formats.
In the Details dialog, payroll items can be filtered by pay item type:
- Regular - Visit/Shift
- Time Off - any payable unavailabilty
- Shift Premium - a payable premium added to the visit
- Calculated Premium - a premium applied to an employee based on premium rule applied to the payroll period
- Daily Premium - a premium applied to an employee for a given date
Premium will be calculated and listed visit by visit (i.e., line per visit affected)
You can also filter by Pay Code, Employee, Client, or text from the Memo. The Memo will include premium details or shift details, where applicable.
- Background Jobs
Once you are confident of your payroll run, export the file that will be used to integrate with your payroll system.
- Click Export for the file
- In the resulting dialogue, choose your desired Type and Format.
- Click Export.
Close Payroll Period
It is highly recommended to Close your Payroll Period once you have exported the file and uploaded it to your third party payroll software.
Once a Payroll Period is closed:
- Editing/Deleting the Payroll Period is no longer possible
- Running Payroll is no longer possible
- Deleting a Payroll file is no longer possible