AlayaCare is a zero to gross payroll system, using only the time and attendance features to export enough information for an external payroll system to calculate gross to net. We support various pay codes, but do not support wage tables allowing for different pay rates for employees.
Pay Codes are entered in Accounting Global Settings. They should include Pay Codes for any type of pay item, including:
- Regular Visits
- Indirect Time (meetings, paid sick time, etc)
You simply enter the code that should be exported to your payroll system and the units of the pay code: hours or visits.
For visits & time off, the Service Code will determine the Pay Code to use. For premiums, the pay code is entered directly and not via a service code.
Prepare Payroll Period - Create Payroll
Once you set and save the Payroll Period parameters from the Create Payroll Dialog, Click View/Prepare on the Payroll you created
Here, you’ll see a basic summary of the payroll period, including if there are any outstanding shifts to be approved.
Shifts: By default, you’ll see Not Approved shifts. Change the filters at the top to view All, Approved, or Rejected.
Key Columns in Shift Approval
- Approved: Default ‘quantity’ that will appear on billing and payroll, unless there is an override.
- Bill-Override: If paying, but not billing, you can override at 0
- Pay-Override: ‘Approved’ quantity will appear in the payroll export. If overridden, the export will reflect this quantity.
Unscheduled Shifts: These are times when a care worker has clocked in outside a scheduled visit time. They cannot be paid unless they are added to the schedule.
Time Off: This will list the Time Off by day that has been entered at the Employee's Unavailability. By default, it shows all Time Off. To see only the Time Off that will appear in the payroll export, change the first filter to “Payable”
Daily Premiums: This will list all premiums applied directly to the employee (not related to a particular visit therefore a Payable premium; not Billable). This is entered at the Employee Profile at Timesheets & Premiums > Premiums
- If the premium is there, it will always be exported to payroll. To exclude it, it must be deleted.
- Select “Option” in the top right corner to download this list of premiums for review.
Visit Premiums: If the visit is approved the premium will be approved, and thus included in payroll if it has a pay code.
Check Pay Settings > Premiums
This is where premium rules are added to the payroll period as a whole. This automates the calculation of premiums based on the parameters set by the rule. These are different than premiums applied to a visit or to an employee. The rules we currently have are:
- Evening: based on a window set by the admin, any visits that start within that window get a premium added for the whole visit
- EveningCovered: based on a time window set by the admin, any part of the visit that falls within the period gets a premium
- Travel: for time between visits, a premium is added if it falls within the max time interval and applies to the right service codes
- ServiceCodes: is applied automatically to the service codes specified.
Check Pay Settings > Shifts Settings - Use the filters to search for “Shifts missing service code” or “Shifts missing pay code” as these will not properly pay out.
Initial Run - Run Payroll (at the top of the screen) calculates pay items
Depending on the volume of visits, payroll can take a bit of time so is processed in the background so you can continue to operate within AlayaCare. When you initially click Run Payroll, the payroll job will be queued. Depending on what other background jobs may be running at the time, the payroll job should take on average less than 2 minutes to go from Queued to Started. As a frame of reference, a payroll processing over 15,000 pay items may take around 25 minutes to complete. To see the progress of this file, navigate to Dashboard > Background Jobs. There you can see the status of the job and the % progress. The screen auto-refreshes every 4 seconds to update progress, but can also be refreshed manually by clicking the Refresh button. Note: progress % for payroll is based on # of employees (not pay items).
Review Pay Items by Clicking Details
Next to each payroll run, click Details, which will show each of the pay items that was included in the payroll run. This is the clearest way to check on pay items, and will often be more straightforward for troubleshooting than the tenant-specific exports, which include variable information often in very customized formats.
In the Details dialog, payroll items can be filtered by pay item type:
- Regular - Visit/Shift
- Time Off - any payable unavailabilty
- Shift Premium - a payable premium added to the visit
- Calculated Premium - a premium applied to an employee based on premium rule applied to the payroll period
- Daily Premium - a premium applied to an employee for a given date
Premium will be calculated and listed visit by visit (i.e., line per visit affected)
You can also filter by Pay Code, Employee, Client, or text from the Memo. The Memo will include premium details or shift details, where applicable.
If your spot-check on the Payroll Details looks alright, you can export the file that will be used to integrate with your payroll system. Click Export on the Payroll Run line. Then choose your payroll template type & format.
Once you've exported the file, it makes sense to Close the period so that no more changes can be made to the main payroll file, since that's the version that was exported to your system.
Close - Once you've exported the file, it makes sense to Close the period so that no more changes can be made to the main payroll file, since that's the version that was exported to your system
At the Payroll tab, review all of the Payroll Periods generated and Close the Payroll Period by Clicking on the Close button