Our Travel time feature allows schedulers to see the time it takes for Care Workers to travel from a visit to another including traffic, by car. Here's a summary of how it works:
- Data is obtained directly from Google's APIs
- Travel information is calculated using the specific time of day, and considers real-time traffic delays.
- Commute time (displayed in minutes) is calculated from the previous visit's address to the start time of the one being scheduled.
- If service address is different from client's address, Service address is used instead.
- When there is no visit in the previous 3 hours, travel time is calculated from Employee's home address.
- The only mean of transportation available currently is by car
- If Google is not able to locate an address, system will show an error message to the user.
- If the current visit overlaps with another visit, travel time between the two cannot be calculated. System will look at the closest non-overlapping visit.
- Unavailability is not taken into account when calculating travel time.
Travel Time can be seen in the Employee Finder. To access it, from a visit dialog, simply click on the Find Employee button
At the top of the Metrics tab, you will see a toggle named 'Display travel time', which is disabled by default to maximize performance. In order to view travel time for each employee, simply activate this feature, which will show the 'Travel Time' column.
Travel time in the column shows the number of minutes between the previous visit and visit currently being scheduled. These values can be sorted to see which employee has the shortest travel time.
In the example above, it will take Lesleanne Blakeley 5 minutes to travel by car to the 9:15 visit. She will be traveling from home. On the other hand, Jasmine lives very far from client's or service's address, thus taking her 4 hours to travel.
- When travel time cannot be calculated by Google, an error message of 'Invalid address' will be shown. Make sure to verify that the employee, client and/or service address is valid.
- If the employee has no visit in the previous 3 hours, the home icon will be shown to indicate travel time is being calculated from the employee's home address.
Important note: If you are scheduling a recurrence, the calculated travel time will be for the first occurrence of the recurrence. Further information will be available in the Calendar tab.
The Calendar uses the same logic as above to calculate Travel Time. At the top of the Calendar tab, you will see a toggle named 'Display travel time', which is disabled by default to maximize performance. In order to view travel time for each employee, simply enable this feature, which will display an additional tile type surrounding the visits being scheduled, representing Travel Time.
This allows users to visually determine if the employee will have enough time to travel from the previous visit (or home) to the visit being scheduled, and from this one to the next scheduled visit. If travel time overlaps with the previous or following visit, that employee would not be able to make it on time.
- When travel time cannot be calculated by Google, a red bar will be shown adjacent to the visit tile. Make sure to verify that the employee's, client's and/or service's address entered is valid.
- If the employee has no visit in the previous or next 3 hours, the home icon will be shown on hover of the travel time to indicate travel time is being calculated from/to employee's home.
- When moving a visit to change its time (on creation only), travel time will be recalculated.